The director of Columbia College's Faculty Development program is Dr. John Zubizarreta and the Faculty Development Committee members for 2012-13 are:
- Christine Hait (Langs. & Lits.)
- Heather Hahn (Behavioral Studies & Human Inquiry)
- Yuan Li (Business, Math, & Sciences)
- Jim Lane (Education)
- Jason Munsell (Arts & Comm. Studies)
- John Zubizarreta (Director of Faculty Development)
Faculty Development at Columbia College has been defined largely by the following resources and activities:
- An outstanding travel/research grants program administered by the FD Committee.
- Fall and spring semester faculty workshops.
- Faculty First Fridays workshops on teaching and learning.
- Occasional special workshops on timely topics or issues, such as teaching portfolios, critical thinking, diversity, and more.
- Extensive communication of and support for faculty opportunities such as Fulbrights, NEH Seminars and Fellowships, and other development activities.
- Sabbatical program.
- Savory Scholars Program for Undergraduate Research and Learning, grants for collaborative undergraduate research.
- Student Development Grants to support student travel/research.
- Sharing of resources on teaching and learning through an email listserve, Teaching Professor, and The Teaching Web, an electronic flash bulletin.
- Three major awards for outstanding faculty performance, one funded by SCICU.
- Collaborative Learning Center Series.
- Faculty Development Grants due 10 Sep. 2012 and 11 Feb. 2013
- Collaborative Team Teaching Grants due 8 Oct. 2012
- Student Development Grants due 11 Feb. 2013
- Savory Scholars PURL Grant due 12 Nov. 2012
- Faculty Excellence and SCICU Awards nominations due 14 Dec. 2012
- Faculty Excellence and SCICU Award nominees’ portfolio materials due 21 Jan. 2012
- Collaborative Undergraduate Micro-Grants due 8 Oct. 2012 and 11 Mar. 2013
Policies and Procedures
- Grants 1-3 Policies
- Grant 4 Policies & Procedures
- Student Grant Guidelines
- Collaborative Undergraduate Research Micro-Grants Policies
- Collaborative Teaching Grant Policies
- Grants 1-3 Application
- Grant 4 Application form
- Student Grant Application
- Collaborative Undergraduate Research Micro-Grants Proposal Form
- Collaborative Teaching Grant Proposal Form
- Savory Scholars PURL Award
Completion of Grant Form
Policies and Procedures
Resources for Faculty Development
Learning Portfolio | Want to learn more about a powerful tool for improving and assessing student learning?
Teaching Portfolio | A valuable resource for information about teaching portfolios, with links to models and additional, helpful sites.
Teaching Web Archive | Tap into a rich archive of quick web links to information and tips on a variety of teaching, learning, and professional topics.
Faculty Development Centers | Visit a wealth of teaching and learning resources available at Faculty Development Center links and useful higher-education data bases around the world.
Conferences and Workshops | Browse upcoming opportunities for exciting professional development.
Faculty Profiles & Bios
Click on the following departments:
- Biological and Physical Sciences
- Business and Economics
- Communication and Theatre
- History and Political Science
- Mathematics and Computing
- Modern Languages and Literatures
- Religion and Philosophy
Dr. John Zubizarreta
Director of Honors and Faculty Development;
Professor of English