Center for Leadership & Social Change
Established in 1990, the Center for Leadership & Social Change prepares students to assume leadership within their professions and communities, to lead innovation and change throughout their lives, and to be effective in a global society.
Leadership is not just a word at Columbia College; it is a fundamental value and a pervasive force throughout campus. Every student has an opportunity to learn about leadership, experiment with leadership, and experience leadership throughout their four years at Columbia College.
Columbia College has been recognized as a national leader in the field of leadership for women by the Kellogg Foundation and the Women’s College Coalition.
We work with students and the community to provide an outstanding series of outreach programs, seminars and networking events for women throughout South Carolina. Programs range from our Summer Leadership Institute for high school girls to professional development workshops and an executive leadership program designed to propel women's presence, influence and power.
Through a highly-respected academic program and innovative leadership initiatives, the Center for Leadership is creating an outstanding legacy of leadership enhancement for women of all ages.
Find your own voices and learn to live your life intentionally. Our certificate programs allow you to identify obstacles and chart a course of purposeful change.
- Mentoring Program
The Leader2Leader Mentoring Program matches Columbia College students with women leader mentors across South Carolina, many of whom are alumnae of the College.
Become a Mentor
- Summer Leadership Institute
A series of three progressive leadership intensive weeks and an entrepreneurship-focused program are offered through Columbia College's prestigious Summer Leadership Institute, which has served more than 2,600 high school girls since 1990. This residential summer program is offered to high school students and is aimed at developing and practicing the leadership skills necessary for success.
- Student Success Leaders
Student Success Leaders are peer mentors that work one-on-one with students, aiding in their overall academic, social and professional success.
Their main responsibilities are as follows:
1. Help mentees to establish positive, personal relationships with their peers, instructors, as well as other community professionals.
2. Help mentees to obtain/maintain short and long term academic goal as well as to obtain effective life skills.
3. Assist mentees in accessing academic and college resources.
4. Assist students in developing appropriate interpersonal, study, and goal setting skills.
5. Enhance mentee’s ability to interact comfortably and productively with people/groups from diverse racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.