Dr. Mona El Shazly
Professor of Economics & International Business
Bush Science Center | 137803.786.3676 3676 Email
Dr. Mona El Shazly was born and raised in Egypt. She attended the American University in Cairo where she received a B.A. and an M.A. in Economics. She received her Ph.D. in Economics with a minor in International Business from the University of South Carolina.
Dr. El Shazly joined Columbia College in 1987 and is now serving as professor of Economics and International Business. She teaches courses in International Economics, International Business and International Negotiations.
Dr. El Shazly is actively engaged in research and has published numerous articles in professional journals on topics that deal with currency forecasting, exchange rate analysis, equity markets, international trade and finance. She is active in professional organizations at both the national and international level.
During her tenure at Columbia College, Dr. El Shazly was invited to teach as a visiting lecturer at The American University in Cairo, the University of South Carolina, Lethbridge University in Canada, Huron University in London, and the American University in Washington D.C.
Dr. El Shazly is a member of a number of professional organizations: Academy of International Business, International Atlantic Economic Association, International Association of Financial Engineers and the American Economic Association.
Awards & Accomplishments
- Senior Faculty Excellence Award, Columbia College | 2017-18
- Technical Committee Member | International Conference on Advances in Business and Economics, 4th International Conference, Thailand, 2017.
- Program Chair, Global Business, designed and developed a new major at Columbia College, 2015-present.
- Saudi Arabia’s Crude Awakening, Journal of Applied Economics and Finance, Volume 3, Number 4, November 2018.
- 2017 Economic Outlook, Columbia Business Monthly, January 2017, pp 15-16.
- Comparing the Forecasting Performane of Futures Oil Prices with Genetically Evolved Neural Networks, (co-authored) International Advances in Economic Research, DOI 10.1007/s11294-016-9599-3, 2016.
- Measuring Contagion between Oil Prices and Stock Markets in the GCC Countries Using a Hybrid Artificial Neural Network Model, (co-authored), International Journal of Trade, Economics and Finance, volume 7 number 4, August 2016.