Our Human Development & Family Studies Degree Program
Next Start Date:
August 24, 2020
Human Development & Family Studies majors must show a genuine concern for the welfare of children, families, and the general well-being of others. It is critical for you to serve as willing advocates for change in political and other systems, without prejudice, to view each individual as a person of worth. You'll gain a foundation in the classroom while honing your skills in numerous service-learning opportunities.
This program is designed around the life lab concept, emphasizing a partnership between academics and out of classroom placements. You are required to enroll in a semester practicum during your second year in order to understand the possibilities and complexities of your vocational choice.
As professionals, we believe in the ability of change and grow in all individuals, providing quality assistance within ethical guidelines. The Columbia College faculty will help shape your ethics and prepare you to engage in any area of Human Development & Family Studies.
Many classes are held in partnership with the South Carolina Statehouse, including an opportunity to train as guardian ad litem for course credit.
Completion of this degree qualifies you graduate study in law or social work as well as a variety of professional positions in law, health care, therapy, ministry, or child life settings. You could also pursue positions with:
- Department of Juvenile Justice
- South Carolina State Department of Social Services
- Richland County Department of Social Services
- Richland County Guardian Ad Litem/Victims Advocates
Experience with different family dynamics prepares students for a number of professional options such as:
- Family Service Coordinator
- Parent Educator
- School/Home Liaison
- Nonprofit services for children and families
- Palmetto AIDS Life Support Services
- The Benefit Bank
- The Sickle Cell Association
- YMCA Boys and Girls Club of the Midlands
- The Nurturing Center Co-operative Ministries
- Camp Rise Above EdVenture
- Children’s Museum
- Harvest Hope Food Bank
- Children’s Garden
- Ronald McDonald House
- Richland County First Steps
Human Development & Family Studies Area of Study
Course catalog information will be available soon.