Types of Federal Financial Aid 

Students who are U.S. Citizens or permanent residents may receive the following financial aid from the Federal Government, which is determined by information students provide on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Check out our step-by-step instructions for applying for financial aid.

How to Apply for Financial Aid 

Be sure to also review your Columbia College and South Carolina scholarships and grant options to maximize your financial support package. 

Pell Grant 

Students who demonstrate financial need may qualify for a Pell Grant up to $6,095.

Supplementary Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Students who are eligible for the Pell Grant and demonstrate financial need which is determined by FAFSA may be eligible for up to $2,500. 

Federal Loans & Work-Study

Subsidized Stafford Loan 

Students may receive $3,500 as a Subsidized Stafford Loan. Students are not charged interest on the loan until after leaving college or dropping below full-time status.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

Students may receive $2,000 as an unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Students can choose to defer paying interest on the loan while enrolled in college. If so, the interest incurred will be added to the principal amount of the loan. 

Parent PLUS Loan 

Parents or stepparents may be eligible to borrow funds for educational expenses incurred for their student. The maximum amount able to be borrowed is determined by the cost of attendance minus a student’s financial aid.

Federal Work-Study

Students may qualify for up to $1,500 in Federal Work-Study, depending on a student’s overall financial need which is determined by the FAFSA. The Federal Work-Study program provides students part-time jobs on-campus. There are limited jobs on-campus, so students are encouraged to seek work-study employment early. Money earned through work-study positions can be used for educational or other personal expenses.