Welcome to the Parents and Families! Whether you are a current family member or the family member of a prospective student, you will find helpful resources on this website. You play a pivotal role in the success of your current or future college student, and we, at Columbia College, are here to help you guide and support your student through this time of transition.
We look forward to joining you and your student on this journey. Do not hesitate to reach out to the Parent Hotline if you have additional questions or concerns: 803-786-3856, and make sure to join our Parent Facebook page for additional support.
Financial Aid & Admissions Process
Volunteer Opportunities and Parent/Family Advisory Council
Financial Aid & Admissions Process
The admissions and financial aid process for any college or university can be confusing, especially if you have never participated in the process before. The application deadlines, numerous documents, waitlists, loans, scholarships, etc. can be daunting and overwhelming. Here, you will find information regarding the Admissions process, common Financial Aid questions, and Housing options. Don’t forget, we are here to help! Our staff of professionals are here to answer your questions and assist you and your student in making the right choices for your family while guiding your student to their future.
Housing, Cost, & What to Bring to Campus
Please call Admissions Office at 800.277.1301 for any questions regarding admissions & financial aid.
On-Campus Services & Safety
Columbia College offers students a variety of academic and social resources on campus. In our mission we prepare students personally and professionally for success through strong liberal arts and professional programs emphasizing service, social justice, and leadership development. Without these additional resources on campus, Columbia College would fail at the mission. Encouraging your student to utilize these resources will be key for their success.
Public Safety/On-campus Police
Visit Us/Where to Stay
Haven’t been to campus yet? What are you waiting for?! Our Admissions team is happy to help your student set-up a tour. Once your student has been accepted, start to plan your visit for Family and Friends weekend in October. Not only will you have the opportunity to see your student, but campus will be full of fun activities for the whole family. There are many other family-friendly events that take place on campus every year, but we encourage families to come anytime and explore all Columbia, South Carolina has to offer.
Our Address: 1301 Columbia College Drive, Columbia, SC 29203
Ask for the Columbia College discount at the hotels below!
- Hilton Garden Inn Columbia | Downtown: 1200 Pickens Street, Columbia, SC 29201; 803-227-3400
- Staybridge Suites: 1913 Huger Street, Columbia, SC 29201; 803-451-5900
Please contact the Parent Hotline at 803-786-3856 if you would like to get involved with any of these opportunities.
Career Development Opportunities
This program provides parents with the opportunity to help students by sponsoring internships or job shadowing experiences.
Family & Friends Weekend, Mom’s Day, & Dad’s Night
Volunteers will share their ideas to assist the Columbia College Activities Board and Office of Student Activities with planning these events. In addition, volunteers assist with registration and set-up needs on the day of these events.
Serve on Panels
The College holds different events, such as Future Koala Day Summer Orientation and Registration. Family members are always needed to serve as panelists.
Move in Day
Our volunteers answer questions, promote upcoming family events and welcome parents to Columbia College.
Parent & Family Advisory Council
Parent and Family Association members seeking an active role in the association can apply to serve on the Parent & Family Advisory Council. This council serves as ambassadors for Columbia College and meets twice a year.
The primary role is to:
- Help recruit students;
- Recommend programming activities for the Parent and Family Association;
- Give feedback about university programs;
- Discuss issues of concern to family members;
- Recommend content for publications;
- Participate in campus events like Family & Friends Weekend; and
- Assist with the recruitment of prospective Parent & Family Advisory Council members.
- Who is eligible for the Parent Advisory Council?
- The Parent & Family Advisory Council consists of family members of full-time undergraduate students who are in good standing at Columbia College. It is our intention to select family members who represent our diverse student population. In order to ensure continuity on the Council, members are asked to make at least a two-year commitment.
What is expected of Parent & Family Advisory Council member?
Parent Advisory Council members are expected to attend biannual meetings. Council members will have the opportunity to learn more about college departments and services, as well as provide feedback on any topic of interest or concern to them as Columbia College family members. Responsibilities of council members include the following.
- Parent & Family Advisory Council members are expected to participate in Family & Friends Weekend. (Families of incoming first-year students will be exempt from this duty in order to attend activities with their student.)
- Parent & Family Advisory Council members are expected to provide feedback to the Division of Student Affairs staff concerning the association’s programs, publications, services and any other aspects of institution activity.
- Parent & Family Advisory Council members are expected to maintain regular communication with the Parent and Family Association staff.
- Parent & Family Advisory Council members are expected to identify and approach prospective council members.