Our Early Childhood Education Program
Available in: Undergraduate College & Evening Undergraduate
The Early Childhood Education program will prepare you to work in public and private schools (pre-K-3), childcare centers, or in early intervention programs. The main scope of preparation is ages 3-8yrs, although courses and some field experiences introduce you to an earlier developmental range.
Early Childhood Education is recognized by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), the South Carolina Department of Education, and is nationally accredited by the NCATE/CAEP through Fall 2022.
After graduating from the Early Childhood program, I left feeling fully prepared and eager to start. So far I have been able to handle every situation that has been thrown at me.Mary Mastromichalis '19
100% Job Placement & Exam Pass Rate
The Early Childhood program has a 100% job placement rate for the past five years for completers; and 100% of our completers pass the licensure exams required for initial certification.
- Early Childhood students complete three field experiences as part of the program. Field experiences provide an opportunity for teacher candidates to work various grade levels (preK-3) in schools representing different socio-economic and cultural environments.
- Early Childhood is the certification area that our students complete. This licensure area in Early Childhood Education allows hiring opportunities in prekindergarten through third grade.
- Course work in the early childhood program provides experiential learning opportunities to help candidates connect theory to practice and engage in authentic, reflective practice.
- A student chapter of the South Carolina Early Childhood Association (SCECA) is housed on the Columbia College campus. Students participate in community service projects, and attend and present at local and regional conferences.
Recent Graduates Job Placements
- Richland County School District One, Columbia, SC
- Richland County School District Two, Columbia, SC
- Richland Lexington School District Five, Columbia, SC
- Lexington County School District One, Lexington, SC
- Lexington County School District Two, Cayce, SC
- Charleston County School District, Charleston, SC
South Carolina projects a minimum growth of 6% of job openings for early childhood teachers.
Kindergarten and Elementary School teachers
Median Pay 2018 in South Carolina: $50,050 with some districts providing signing bonuses.
Christine LeBlanc, Assistant Professor of Early Childhood Education
B.A., M.Ed., Ph.D., University of South Carolina.
Whitney Chick, Lecturer of Education
B.A., Columbia College; M.Ed., Francis Marion University; M.Ed., Winthrop University.
Brennan Davis, Assistant Professor of Education
B.A., College of Charleston; M.A.T., Ph.D., University of South Carolina.
The professors at the college truly cared about us and I felt prepared to take on my first year! I can’t wait to come back for my masters!Scarlett Cotter '19