Dr. Davis joined Columbia College as an Assistant Professor of Education in 2018. After graduating with a BA in English from the College of Charleston and an MAT in English from the University of South Carolina, she taught high school English in Columbia, SC for 13 years. While teaching, Dr. Davis pursued a PhD in Language and Literacy at USC-Columbia, which she completed in 2017.
As a teacher and teacher-educator, Dr. Davis is devoted to advocating for equity in schools. This interest is evident in her research which investigates effective professional development tools and processes for addressing issues of diversity in schools, particularly with veteran teachers. Additionally, Dr. Davis is invested in mentoring and supporting preservice teachers to prepare them for their future roles in classrooms.
A member of American Education Research Association (AERA), Association of Teacher Educators (ATE), Literacy Research Association (LRA), National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), and Palmetto State Teacher’s Association (PSTA), Dr. Davis seeks to engage, participate in and contribute to the development of new ideas as well as to learn from the work of experts in the field.
Dr. Davis lives in Elgin with her husband Travis.
Awards & Accomplishments
- 2021 SCICU Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2021 Innovative Educator Award--Faculty under 5 years
- 2017 Bright Ideas Grant, Mid-Carolina Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- 2016 Education Foundation Grant, Irmo High School
- 2013-2014 Teacher of the Year, Irmo High School
- Davis, B. (2021). Remote Teaching: Navigating the Complexities of Moving Classes Online…Indefinitely. Teacher Education Journal of South Carolina, 14(1).
- Davis, B. (2020). Remote Teaching: Navigating the Complexities of Moving Classes Online…Indefinitely. Teacher Education Journal of South Carolina, Special Issue (Online).
- Davis, B. & Chick, W. (2020). “Teacher Readiness: Lessons from Beginning Teachers.” Association of Teacher Educators Summer Conference (online).
- Davis, B. & Chick, W. (October, 2019). Teacher readiness: A study of retention interventions for beginning teachers. Presented at the South Carolina Association of Teacher Educators Annual Conference, Greenville, SC.
- Davis, B. & Nelson, T. (March, 2018). Professional book clubs: Librarians as professional development leaders. Presented at the South Carolina Association of School Librarians Annual Conference, Greenville, SC.
- Davis, B. (November, 2017). Conversations with Chris: Discussing racial diversity in a professional book club. Presented at the National Council of Teachers of English Annual Conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Davis, B. (2017). Reaching diverse students: One veteran teacher's journey toward culturally responsive teaching. Teacher Education Journal of South Carolina, 11(1), p. 87-98.
- Davis, B. (June, 2017). Conversations with Chris: Discussing racial diversity in a professional book club. Presented at the Conference on English Education, Ohio State University-Columbus, OH.