Dr. Erin Gilreath Carlson
Director of General Education | Lecturer of Spanish
Edens Library | 117E803.786.3033 Email
Erin Gilreath Carlson is an alumna of Columbia College and credits it with preparing her to be a strong educator. She taught in various high schools around South Carolina for 10 years before moving to the university level, where she has taught for another 10 years. While teaching full time, Erin earned her Masters of Education in Languages from the College of Charleston and, later, her Doctorate in Language and Literacy from the University of South Carolina. Her research interests include examining issues of identities as they intersect with literacies and cultural practices and perspectives. Erin lives in Columbia with her dreamboat husband and two beautiful, vivacious, and mischievous daughters. She enjoys traveling, lifting weights, discussing haute couture and participating in her neighborhood book club.
Awards & Accomplishments
- 2021 - University of South Carolina, College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Teaching Award for Professional Faculty
- 2020 - South Carolina Foreign Language Teachers’ Association World Languages Teacher of the Year
- 2019 - Level Up: Increasing the Complexity of Student Expression – Voted Top Ten of FLANC (out of 125 sessions), Foreign Language Association of North Carolina Fall Conference
- 2019 - University of South Carolina, College of Arts and Sciences Incubator for Teaching Innovation INCUBATE Innovative Teacher, Fall Semester
- 2019 - University of South Carolina, College of Arts and Sciences Incubator for Teaching Innovation INCUBATE Innovative Teacher, Spring Semester
- 2019 - Post a Professor’s Secret – Voted University of South Carolina, College of Arts and Sciences Incubator for Teaching Innovation INCUBATE Design Challenge Winner
- 2017 - The Big Three: Three activities to get your students reading, speaking & writing in the target language every day – Voted Top Ten of FLANC (out of 118 sessions), Foreign Language Association of North Carolina Fall Conference
- 2017 - Academia LatinoAmerica Scholarship, awarded by Southern Conference On Language Teaching
- Madison, S. M., & Carlson, E. G. (In press). Intentional focus on social justice through incremental changes to classroom instruction. In L. J. Randolph, S. M. Johnson, & K. Davidson (Eds.), How we take action: Social justice in K-16 language classrooms.
- Carlson, E. G. (January, 2017) What Should You Know for FeriaSCSC? La Vela: the Newsletter of AATSPSC.
- Carlson, E. G. (2016). A Framework for Advancing Proficiency in Language Learner Output. The Language Educator, 11(2), 46-49.
- Carlson, E.G. (September, 2016) My Three Go-tos. La Vela: the Newsletter of AATSPSC.