Dr. Burk holds a Ph.D. and Ed.S. from The College of William and Mary and two professional development certificates from Harvard and the Terry College of Business. She is a Professor of Communication and Leadership, the John Reeves Endowed Chair of Leadership and the Director of Leadership Studies, the P.L.A.C.E. (Philanthropy, Leadership & Community Engagement) Program and the Center for Leadership.
Her scholarly interests include pedagogy, leadership education, communication studies and social justice. She has published numerous articles and book chapters in outlets such as Communicative Understandings of Women’s Leadership Development: From Ceilings of Glass to Labyrinth Paths, Carolinas Communication Annual, Exploring the Evidence: Reporting the Outcomes of First-Year Seminars, Virginia Journal of Communication, Women and Language and Women Speak. She co-authored the book Teaching Oral Communication in Grades K-8 and is also the author of the book Instructional Development and Classroom Communication: A Case Study of First-Semester College Students in the Liberal Arts Curriculum.
Dr. Burk has received many campus and community awards since she began teaching here in 2003, including the Undergraduate Studies Students’ Choice Award for Teaching Excellence at Columbia College four times.
Awards & Accomplishments
- TWIN Honoree, 2015 | Palmetto Center for Women, Columbia, SCTWIN Honoree, 2015 | Palmetto Center for Women, Columbia, SC
- Educator of the Year, 2015 | Eau Claire Community Council, Eau Claire, SC
- Undergraduate Studies Students’ Choice Award for Teaching Excellence, 2016, 2014, 2008 & 2006 Columbia College, SC
- Honors Faculty member of the Year Award, 2013 | Columbia College, SC
- Spirit of Inclusion Award, 2012
- Burk, T. L., 2013 - present. The P.L.A.C.E. Fellowship Program (Philanthropy, Leadership, and Community Engagement - Funded for the past 6 years by Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina.
- Burk, T. L., Mallett, K. L. & Gregg Boyles, K. 2015. The Opportunity to Choose Courage,…What Will You Do? In J. Munsell (ed.), Carolina Communication Annual, Volume XXXI. Carolinas Communication Association, Columbia, SC, pp. 77 - 80.
- Burk, T. L., Laff, N. & Payseur, E. 2011. Cultivating Women Leaders: One Voice at a Time. Chapter Two In E. Ruminski & A. Holba (eds.), Communication Understandings of Women’s Leadership Development: From Ceilings of Glass to Labyrinth Paths. Lexington Bo