Dr. Vinayak Bhat, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, is a computational physical organic chemist whose research interests are designing and discovering organic functional materials. He completed his integrated Master’degree from the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Thiruvananthapuram, India. He obtained his Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Chad Risko at the University of Kentucky.
At Columbia College, Dr. Bhat primarily teaches Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry sequence.
When not at college, Dr. Bhat enjoys exploring the outdoors and creating videos for his YouTube channel @Chemistrywithcode.
Awards & Accomplishments
- 2023 Outstanding Research Award, University of Kentucky.
- 2023 Outstanding poster presentation award at Super Collider, Kentucky NSF EPSCoR.
- 2021 Max Steckler Fellowship, University of Kentucky.
- 2020 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, University of Kentucky.
- Bhat, V.; Callaway, C. P.; Risko, C. Computational Approaches for Organic Semiconductors: From Chemical and Physical Understanding to Predicting New Materials. Chem. Rev. 2023
- Flagg, L. Q.; Onorato, J. W.; Luscombe, C. K.; Bhat, V.; Risko, C. et al. Resonant X-Ray Diffraction Reveals the Location of Counterions in Doped Organic Mixed Ionic Conductors. Chem. Mater. 2023, 35 (10), 3960–3967.
- Jeong, S., Barbosa, N., Tiwari, A., Holland, E. K., Huang, L.-Y., Bhat, V., et al. Twisted Crystalline Organic Semiconductor Photodetectors. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2023, 2212531.
- Bhat, V.; Sornberger, P.; Pokuri, B. S. S.; Duke, R.; Ganapathysubramanian, B.; Risko, C. Electronic, Redox, and Optical Property Prediction of Organic pi-Conjugated Molecules through a Hierarchy of Machine Learning Approaches. Chem. Sci. 2022.
- Duke, R.; Bhat, V.; Risko, C. Data Storage Architectures to Accelerate Chemical Discovery: Data Accessibility for Individual Laboratories and the Community. Chem. Sci. 2022.
- Smith, A; Bhat, V; Ai, Q.; Risko, C., Challenges in Information-Mining the Materials Literature: A Case Study and Perspective. Chem. Mater. 2022 34 (11), 4821-4827.
- Ai, Q.; Bhat, V.; Ryno, S. M.; Jarolimek, K.; Sornberger, P.; Smith, A. et al. OCELOT: An infrastructure for data-driven research to discover and design crystalline organic semiconductors. J. Chem. Phys. 2021, 154 (17), 174705.