Our Dance Education & Dance Studies Degree Programs
Next Start Date:
August 24, 2020
The Dance Education & Dance Studies Program at Columbia College offers a creatively rigorous community that encourages the student to investigate, generate, and articulate their unique artistry through dance. The program focuses on academic excellence, social justice, and leadership to equip dancers as collaborative performers, choreographers, teachers, scholars, and engaged professionals within the diverse contemporary dance field.
Columbia College Dance Education is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD) and recognized by the South Carolina Department of Education.
- 100% job placement for Dance Education.
- Columbia College Dance Company (CCDC)—hub of the dance program and vehicle for community building, leadership development, artistry, and dance production skill sets.
- Offers annual dance scholarships and awards for creative merit.
- Access to regional and national conferences, festivals, and performance showcases to engage in movement research.
- Travel opportunities to perform nationally and internationally.
- Students have the ability to choreograph starting in the first year of study.
Being a dance major and a member of the Columbia College Dance Company has changed my views on dance, the world, and how I see myself as an active member in both.Sara Monts, '21
Graduates from this program have attained internships and job placements in various institutions, including:
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts | Washington, DC
- Fine Arts Center | Greenville, SC
- Georgetown Performing Dance Arts Foundation | Georgetown, SC
- National Dance Education Organization | Silver Spring, MD
- The Power Company | Columbia, SC
- South Carolina Center for Dance Education | Columbia, SC
- South Carolina Arts Commission | Columbia, SC
- Contra Tiempo Urban Latin Dance Theatre | Los Angeles, CA
- Gibney Dance Center | New York City, NY
- Trikellion Arts | Brooklyn, NY
- Central Carolina Community Foundation | Columbia, SC
- Dutch Fork High School | Irmo, SC
- W.A. Perry Middle School | Columbia, SC
- White Knoll High School | Lexington, SC
Acceptance into Graduate Programs
Graduates have also gone on to pursue advanced courses of study at the following institutions:
- Temple University
- Sarah Lawrence College
- NYU Tisch School of the Arts
- Texas Woman’s University
- Arizona State University
- Ohio State University
- Antioch University
- SUNY Brockport College
Dance Areas of Study
Learn about the classes we offer and areas you can focus on when you study Dance Education & Dance Studies.
Major Course Requirements
Minor Course Requirements
- Dance Minor (Undergraduate Program)