Our Dance Programs
Available in: Undergraduate College
The Dance Program at Columbia College offers a creatively rigorous community that encourages the student to investigate, generate, and articulate their unique artistry through dance. The program focuses on academic excellence, social justice, and leadership to equip dancers as collaborative performers, choreographers, teachers, scholars, and engaged professionals within the diverse contemporary dance field.
Columbia College Dance Education is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD) and recognized by the South Carolina Department of Education.
Being a dance major and a member of the Columbia College Dance Company has changed my views on dance, the world, and how I see myself as an active member in both.Sara Monts, '21
- 100 % Job placement for Dance Education.
- Columbia College Dance Company (CCDC) – hub of the dance program and vehicle for community building, leadership development, artistry, and dance production skill sets.
- Offers annual dance scholarships and awards for creative merit.
- Access to regional and national conferences, festivals, and performance showcases to engage in movement research.
- Travel opportunities to perform nationally and internationally.
- Students have the ability to choreograph starting in the first year of study.
All dance majors are required to complete an internship or project aimed at preparing you for a position within the arts community. Columbia College dancers have accepted positions or internships in choreography, teaching, and arts administration at:
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts | Washington, DC
- Fine Arts Center | Greenville, SC
- Georgetown Performing Dance Arts Foundation | Georgetown, SC
- National Dance Education Organization | Silver Spring, MD
- The Power Company | Columbia, SC
- South Carolina Center for Dance Education | Columbia, SC
- South Carolina Arts Commission | Columbia, SC
Recent Graduates Jobs
- Contra Tiempo Urban Latin Dance Theatre | Los Angeles, CA
- Gibney Dance Center | New York City, NY
- Trikellion Arts | Brooklyn, NY
- Central Carolina Community Foundation | Columbia, SC
- Fine Arts Center | Greenville, SC
- Dutch Fork High School | Irmo, SC
- W.A. Perry Middle School | Columbia, SC
- White Knoll High School | Lexington, SC
Accepted into Graduate Programs
- Temple University
- Sarah Lawrence College
- NYU Tisch School of the Arts
- Texas Woman’s University
- Arizona State University
- Ohio State University
- Antioch University
- SUNY Brockport College
Marcy Jo Yonkey-Clayton, Associate Professor
B.A., Slippery Rock University; M.F.A. Texas Woman’s University
Amanda Ling, Dance Lecturer & Interim Dance Program Chair
B.F.A., Columbia College SC; M.F.A. Arizona State University
Jessica Moore, Dance Education Specialist
B.A.E., Columbia College SC, M.F.A. SUNY Brockport
The dance program at Columbia College has taught me many incredible things, but I will always remember the encouragement of the faculty, the support of my peers, and the emphasis of strength in diversity.Ashley French '20
1. Audition (optional)
Although an audition is not required for you to declare as a major, it is required before scholarship considerations are made. Dance studies scholarships are highly competitive and are available to both incoming first-years and transfer students.
Your first year at Columbia College serves as an evaluation period during which your work ethic, interests, and discipline will be weighed. Dance advisors will guide you through the assessment process and help sharpen your technical skills before your official evaluation.
Formal acceptance into the dance program happens at the start of your second year. Dance advisors will continue to evaluate you once a semester during individual meetings and one-on-one reviews as they guide you through the next two years.
4. Senior Capstone and Showcase
During your final year, you'll participate in a capstone leadership semester and senior showcase.