Get Your English Education Degree
This degree provides you with a solid foundation in English with an emphasis on writing, reading, and analyzing texts. Upon graduation, you will be certified to teach in South Carolina in grades 9 through 12. With courses in English and literature as well as education, we help you develop your own composition skills alongside pedagogical skills.
English Education Program Highlights
- 100% job placement rate and 100% licensure rate for the last 5 years for degree recipients.
- English Education majors are selected to present at the national conference of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society.
- Students participate in three field experiences during the English Education program.
- Coursework facilitates a deep understanding of social justice, cultural competence, and literacy practices and builds students' abilities to apply that understanding in their teaching practices.
- Call Me MiSTER participating school, which supports teachers from under-served, socio-economically disadvantaged, and educationally at-risk communities
Modality & Benefits
Get a traditional college experience with lively in-person classroom discussions and close proximity to your professors, mentors, and best friends.
January & August
- Semester-Based Timeline
- Face-to-Face Instruction (some Online options)
- In-Person Office Hours & Support
- Relationships & Networking
- Extracurriculars & Immersive Campus Experience
English Education Curriculum
Popular English Education Classes
- Advanced Writing: Styles and Grammars
Designed especially for students who plan to teach English and grammar.
- Youth Literature
Evaluate literary works for children and youth in grades 7 through 12.
- Foundations for Teaching Reading in Middle and Secondary Schools
Support adolescent literacy skills in the classroom.
Step into a Rewarding Role
The job supply for high school teachers is increasing steadily, with almost 80,000 openings each year (BLS). With availability in public and private schools, English teachers can enjoy a variety of work settings.
Share Your Love for Words
- ESL Teacher
Online M.Ed. Degrees
Specialize with in-demand topics and become even more marketable with a master's degree. Our M.Ed. programs cultivate your leadership potential with purpose. Check out our 1-year education master's degrees.
"All of the courses I have taken for my major have pushed me to become more open minded and to develop skills that have helped me become the best teacher I can be."
Class of 2020
Meet Your Professors
Excited about this degree?
Take the next step.