Get Your English Degree
This program helps you develop a respect for humanistic and inclusive thinking. We cultivate strong critical reading and thinking skills alongside effective written expression. Students are prepared for graduate studies and a variety of practical careers including copywriting, filmmaking, journalism, public relations, law, library sciences, editing, authorship, and teaching.
English Program Highlights
- Affiliated with Cambridge American Stage Tour (CAST), a major international theatre tour featuring the works of Shakespeare.
- Acting workshops with CAST members for experiential learning.
- Our curriculum also prepares students for teaching or for graduate studies with a range of survey courses, writing-intensive courses with specialized topics, and advanced specialized and seminar courses taught by published faculty in English.
Modality & Benefits
Get a traditional college experience with lively in-person classroom discussions and close proximity to your professors, mentors, and best friends.
January & August
- Semester-Based Timeline
- Face-to-Face Instruction (some Online options)
- In-Person Office Hours & Support
- Relationships & Networking
- Extracurriculars & Immersive Campus Experience
Major & Minor Requirements
Popular English Classes
- Critical Approaches to Interpreting Texts
Explore a wide range of critical lenses for interpreting texts.
- The Modern Fairy Tale
Learn about the evolution of the fairy tale into its modern form.
- Multicultural American Literature
Read literary contributions of African-American, Native-American, Asian-American, and Latino writers.
Succeed in Diverse Fields
Learn the universal skills that all employers seek: written and verbal communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving. A bachelor's degree in English opens doors to many occupations and advanced degrees.
Endless Career Opportunities
- Public Relations Specialist
- Marketing & Sales
- Embassy of Ireland (DC)
- Richland County Public Defender’s Office (SC)
- USC Department of Rare Books and Special Collections (SC)
- Layman Poupard Publishing (SC)
- University of London
- Harvard School of Divinity
- Duke University
- Vanderbilt University
Get Your Master's in One Year
Increase your earning potential and become even more marketable with a master's degree. Your solid foundation will make you a strong candidate for any graduate program. Check out our 1-year master's programs.
"From Teach for America to Duke University, I have been given countless opportunities thanks to the patience, kindness, and dedication of my professors in the English Department at Columbia College. I would not be the teacher or woman I am today had I not been guided by both the Honors Program and the English Department."
Autumn Jean Weidman
Class of 2015
Meet Your Professors
Excited about this degree?
Take the next step.