Dr. Julia Baker
Professor of Chemistry
Bush Science Center | 242803.786.3025 3444 Email
Dr. Julia Baker, professor of chemistry, grew up in the Charleston area and then headed upstate to Greenville where she earned her bachelor of science in chemistry from Furman University. Dr. Baker spent a year as a Drug Science Student Research Fellow at the Medical University of South Carolina before pursuing her Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry at the University of South Carolina. She taught at Armstrong State University in Savannah, GA and Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC prior to joining the Columbia College faculty in 2003.
Dr. Baker serves as Chair of the College’s Chemistry program. Dr. Baker teaches general chemistry, organic chemistry, and organic spectroscopy courses. She also serves as one of the Pre-Health advisors, working with students pursuing graduate education in the medical professions.
Dr. Baker’s research interests are in chemical education and she has received a number of grants supporting curricular innovations. Dr. Baker is presently the principal investigator of a National Science Foundation S-STEM project which provides scholarships, academic support, and mentoring to students majoring in chemistry, math, and computer and information science. In her free time, Dr. Baker enjoys playing tennis, running, and reading.
Awards & Accomplishments
- 2017 Columbia College Senior Excellence Award
- 2016 Columbia College Faculty Excellence Award
- Baker, J.P., Oxley, A.Y. “Impact of two interdisciplinary NSF S-STEM grants on the chemistry program at Columbia College” 25th Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN, July 29- August 2, 2018.
- Golden, D., Leigh, S., Baker, J.P. “Copper and zinc heavy metals analysis of Fundulus heteroclitus from Georgetown, South Carolina” 69th Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Charlotte, NC, November 7-11, 2017.
- Golden, D., Leigh, S., Baker, J.P. “Analyzing mercury and copper in Fundulus heteroclitus ” 2017 SCICU Student/Faculty Research Symposium, Spartanburg, SC, February 22, 2018.
- Leigh, S., Golden, D., Baker, J.P. “Copper and chromium heavy metals analysis of Fundulus heteroclitus from Georgetown, South Carolina” 2018 South Carolina Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting, Clinton, SC, April 14, 2018.
- Baker, J.P. “Enhancing the Chemistry Lab by Incorporating Chemistry in Art Activities” 24th Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Greely, CO, July31-August 4, 2016.
- Baker, J.P. “Combining Molecular Modeling with 13C and DEPT NMR Spectroscopy to Examine the Dehydration of 1-Methylcyclohexanol" in NMR Spectroscopy in the Undergraduate Curriculum: First Year and Organic Chemistry Course Volume 2; Soulsby, D., Anna, L.J.
- Baker, J. P. “Impact of an Interdisciplinary S-STEM Grant on the Chemistry Program at Columbia College” 66th Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Nashville, TN October 16–19, 2014.
- Baker, J.P. “Investigating the Dehydration of 1-methylcyclohexanol Using Molecular Modeling and Decoupled 13C NMR and DEPT Spectra.” National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Dallas, TX, March 2014.
- Baker, J.P.; Oxley, A. “Preparation of a Sweet Holiday Unknown in the General Chemistry Lab.” 247th ACS National Meeting, Dallas, TX, March 16-20, 2014.