Get Your Degree in English/Language Arts Middle Level Education
Within the Middle Level Education major, our English/Language Arts (ELA) concentration prepares you to share your love for language with 5th-8th grade students. This program combines foundational literary courses with pedagogical methods related to your field. As an ELA teacher, you'll get to enjoy flexibility and creativity, with the ability to discover new insights every day.
ELA Education Program Highlights
- Students will take a variety of Education and English courses with opportunities to focus on their particular interests.
- Teacher candidates are introduced to diverse classrooms with shadowing, apprenticeship, and internship opportunities within local schools.
- Call Me MiSTER participating school, which supports teachers from under-served, socio-economically disadvantaged, and educationally at-risk communities.
- This program is recognized by the AMLE, and the South Carolina State Board of Education under the guidance of the 2022 CAEP standards.
Modality & Benefits
Get a traditional college experience with lively in-person classroom discussions and close proximity to your professors, mentors, and best friends.
January & August
- Semester-Based Timeline
- Face-to-Face Instruction (some Online options)
- In-Person Office Hours & Support
- Relationships & Networking
- Extracurriculars & Immersive Campus Experience
ELA Education Curriculum
Popular ELA Education Classes
- Methods of Teaching Specific Content Areas in the Middle School and High School
Apply methods for instruction, classroom management, the teaching of reading, and assessment.
- Methods of Teaching Writing
Learn how to facilitate the linguistic and communicative competencies of adolescents.
- Survey of World Literature
Cultivate an appreciation of literature as human experience and art.
Education occupations as a whole are expected to see above-average job growth between 2021 and 2031. The median annual wage for middle school teachers is about $61,000 (BLS).
Teach What You Love
- English Composition
- English Literature
Online M.Ed. Degrees
Specialize with in-demand topics and become even more marketable with a master's degree. Our M.Ed. programs cultivate your leadership potential with purpose. Check out our 1-year education master's degrees.
"The program gives various opportunities and experiences inside and outside of the classroom, which leads to no surprises or difficulties with how to prepare for teaching."
Class of 2015
Excited about this degree?
Take the next step.