Our Special Education Degree Programs
Next Start Date:
January 11, 2021 (All Programs)
Graduates of the Columbia College Special Education program must demonstrate a mastery of national standards for beginning special education teachers. Our comprehensive program equips future teachers with the skills necessary to be learner ready on day one in any classroom.
Special Education is recognized by the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), the South Carolina Department of Education, and is nationally accredited by the NCATE/CAEP through Fall 2022.
- The Special Education program has a 100% job placement rate for the last 5 years for completers; 100% of our completers pass the licensure exams required for initial certification.
- Our unique field experience design provides experiences in Resource and Self Contained classrooms across elementary, middle and high school settings prior to the final semester of student teaching. This gives each student the opportunity to experience diverse Multicategorical placements.
- A student chapter of the Council for Exceptional Children is housed on the Columbia College campus and collaborates with the Columbia professional chapter 165.
- Special education is a critical need area in our state and students qualify for loan forgiveness programs upon entering their classrooms.
- The program provides a deep understanding of the role of the special education teacher as a collaborative team member working with families and other service providers.
- Special Education majors can also complete additional coursework in Elementary and Early Childhood as electives. This can be used to complete add on requirements as provided by the state department of education.
My professors have equipped me with knowledge and skills needed to be a successful teacher by supporting and encouraging me every step of the way to include making introductions for me in other districts that led to me getting first job two months before I graduate!Madeleine Hodgin December, '19