Our English Degree Programs
Next Start Date:
January 10, 2022
Our English degree will provide you with a solid foundation in English with an emphasis on writing, reading, and analyzing texts. Through a diverse selection of coursework, you will be qualified to work in a wide range of career fields. Most of the universal analytical English skills and techniques that employers look for in potential candidates are covered by our program.
One unique feature of the Columbia College English program is our affiliation with CAST, the Cambridge American Stage Tour. CAST is a major international theatre tour from Cambridge University whose aim is to bring the works of Shakespeare to as wide an audience as possible in the United States and beyond.
Each year, in addition to their performances, CAST members offer acting workshops to our Columbia College students. Our English program’s affiliation with CAST combines our love of literature and performance and offers experiential learning to our students.
From Teach for America to Duke University, I have been given countless opportunities thanks to the patience, kindness, and dedication of my professors in the English Department at Columbia College. I would not be the teacher or woman I am today had I not been guided by both the Honors Program and the English Department.Autumn Jean Weidman, '15
During this program, you'll learn the universal skills that all employers seek: written and verbal communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving. Graduates from the Columbia College English program have been successful in diverse fields. Here are just a few examples:
- Public Relations Specialist
Graduates from this program have attained internships and job placements in various institutions, including:
- Embassy of Ireland | Washington, DC
- Richland County Public Defender’s Office | Columbia, SC
- USC Department of Rare Books and Special Collections | Columbia, SC
- Layman Poupard Publishing | Columbia, SC
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Cambridge, MA
- International Monetary Fund | Washington, DC
- Teach for America | Various Locations
Acceptance into Graduate Programs
Graduates have also gone on to pursue advanced courses of study at the following institutions:
- University of London
- Harvard School of Divinity
- Duke University
- Vanderbilt University
- North Carolina State University
- George Washington University
- Whittier Law School, CA
- The University of South Carolina
English Areas of Study
Learn about the classes we offer and areas you can focus on when you study English.
Major Course Requirements
- English, BA (Undergraduate Program)