Our English Education Degree Program
Next Start Date:
January 10, 2022
Our English degree will provide you with a solid foundation in English with an emphasis on writing, reading, and analyzing texts. Through a diverse selection of coursework, you will be qualified to work in a wide-range of career fields. Most of the universal analytical English skills and techniques that employers look for in potential candidates are covered by our program.
The English Education program has a 100% job placement rate for the last 5 years for degree recipients; 100% of our graduates pass the licensure exams required for initial certification.
- Honors or Awards-English Education majors were selected to present at the Sigma Tau Delta national conference. Sigma Tau Delta is the English Honor Society for students at accredited institutions of higher education.
- Students participate in three field experiences during the English Education program. The final semester results in being placed in a 9th-12th grade public school English classroom. Teacher candidates are mentored by a cooperating teacher and a college supervisor. Candidates are taught the South Carolina Teaching Standards and area evaluated using the Expanded ADEPT Rubric.
- Students are engaged in coursework that facilitates a deep understanding of social justice, cultural competence, and literacy practices and builds students' abilities to apply that understanding in their teaching practices.
- Students enjoy a supportive network of students, faculty and staff that is personally invested in the students' performance.
All of the courses I have taken for my major have pushed me to become more open minded and to develop skills that have helped me become the best teacher I can be.Courtney Post, '20
There is a need for teachers in South Carolina. School districts reported 621 vacant teaching positions at the beginning of the 18-19 school year. This is a 16% increase compared to vacancies reported at the beginning of the 2017-18 school year and a 29% increase compared to 2016-17. 9% of all unfilled teaching positions in South Carolina are in English Education positions.
Visit any school district in SC and you can find a dedicated Columbia College alumnae. Midlands districts include Lexington, Richland, Kershaw, Sumter, and Fairfield counties. Columbia College alums are also employed in various roles with district administrators, early intervention providers, and private schools.
- Starting South Carolina Teacher Pay: $35,000
- Average South Carolina Teacher Pay 2018: $50,050
- Job Outlook 2018-2028: Continuous demand for English Education teachers